Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wal-Mart and Last Day of School

Today is Rachel and Ryan's last day of school. They get done at 11:30. We are going to McDonald's for lunch. Ryan said this morning that he will be sad because his teacher is moving to Germany and he won't get to see his best friend Alina everyday. There might be some tears when he gets in the car. This is Rachel's last day at this school, she will be moving on to public school next year. Thankfully, her best friend Libby will be joining her. They will have fun on their new adventure.

On to my other subject, Wal-Mart. I have been blogging about this place in my head for some time now and never took the time to actually sit down and tell you my thoughts. First of all, so that you can understand if you aren't from my area, Wal-Mart is the only major store we have in our town beside one CVS and two grocery stores. Oh yeah, we do have two Dollar Generals. (Not sure that our little town needs two of them but that is what they gave us.) We just got a new store called Peebles and a shoe store, but they are a little pricey and I don't shop there often. If we want something different we have to drive about 30 miles to shop at other stores.

For those of you that have Wal-Marts, do you claim them as your own? Do you find yourself saying "Well, at our Wal-Mart" or "Could you look at your Wal-Mart for such and such?". I do and most of the people I know claim it too. Whose Wal-Mart is it really? I know that technically it isn't "ours", but does the big headquarters of Wal-Mart know that there are all of these people out here claiming Wal-Mart as their own. I claim it for several different reasons. 1st - It is in the town where I live. 2nd - Most of the time I spend so much money there I feel like I have bought it. 3rd - I have gotten to know the people that work there and they feel like family, it is like a home away from home on those days when you end up going there several different times.

Here recently they have remodeled our Wal-Mart. Yes, it looks pretty and is a bit cleaner, new shelves, flooring and registers. It isn't the same as our old Wal-Mart. It was like a well worn shoe. The sad thing is that they never asked any of us who claim it what we thought. Now when I go in there I have a state of confusion on my face because I can't find what I am looking for. Thankfully, they kept they great people that work there. So while I can't find the trash bags, I know that my favorite greeter and cashier will still be at their normal spots. I will get used to it, but it will take some time. Next time your shop at "your" Wal-Mart you can think of me at "my" Wal-Mart. Happy Shopping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment